Saturday, November 13, 2010

Date Apple Granola

I made this recipe from Sue Gregg's, More than Breakfasts..., I think it is quite delicious. In the picture you can see how I eat it. First slice a banana in the bottom of the bowl, then sprinkle granola on top, then top with some frozen berries, drizzle with honey if you like, add a few egg yolks (yes egg yolks). After this I pour raw milk over and let it set just a bit, stir it together and eat for a satisfying breakfast.

1. Combine juice concentrate and vanilla; add dates and apples; let stand several hours or overnight to soften fruit:
two 12oz. cans frozen apple juice concentrate, unsweetened (thawed)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup date pieces or chopped fresh dates, packed
1 cup dried apples, unslufered
2. Soak almonds in salted water for 7 hours or overnight.
1 cup whole almonds, raw unroasted
filtered water to cover + 1/2 teaspoon salt
STAGE 1
3. Drain almonds; grind finely in blender or food processor. Place in large mixing bowl.
4. Puree the undrained soaked fruit mixture. Add to bowl with ground almonds.
5. Add oats, more date pieces to the bowl, mix well, cover and let stand 12-24 hours.
10 cups rolled oats
1 cup date pieces
STAGE 2
6. Spread mixture in single layer on dehydrator shelves. I covered mine with parchment paper. Dehydrate 6 hours until fairly dry, but not bone dry. It will crisp as it cools. or you can bake 200degrees 3-4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
7. Let stand on shelves 2-3 hours to complete drying out. Break any large clumps with fingers and store in jars in refrigerator.

I used my dehydrator and I did not store mine in refrigerator because it will be gone to fast. I think I dehydrated mine for too long, longer than the six hours stated and it is a bit chewey. I think it will make fantastic granola bars, but I have not tried it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment