Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pounded Chicken

This is Zesty Chicken Saute from the cookbook, Cheap, Fast, Good, by Beverly Mills & Alicia Ross.

Mix these spices:

1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt (I use Real Salt brand)
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice (optional) I never put this in
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Olive oil, or tallow, or other healthy cooking fat

Mix the spices together. Recipe has you place it in a gallon zip bag, I don't do this.

Place the chicken between two sheets of wax paper (I don't do this). Pound the chicken with several whacks of a meat hammer until they are an even 1/2 inch (I never measure this out.) If breast halves are large, cut them in half (or thirds or whatever size you want, even nuggets).

Place the chicken slices in the bag and shake. (I sprinkle one side with spices, nothing fancy, just use my fingers.)

Heat the oil in a deep skillet, I use my handy Le Creuset Braiser (mine is 3 1/2 quart size, if I only had one pan this would be it. Place the meat in the skillet spice side down if not using the bag, sprinkle more spice on the top. The recipe says 4-5 minutes per side, I honestly don't time this, Lightly brown in on the first side, turn and cook until no longer pink in the center.

Transfer to a plate and serve. Serve on a bun as a sandwich, or slice and put on a salad, or just plain with whatever else you are having.

Tools needed:

sharp knife to cut up the chicken
meat hammer (mine is OXO Good Grips, I used to have a wood one but the end kept coming off.)
cutting board
skillet (I use LeCreuset 3.5 qt braiser)
measuring spoons
spatula

No comments:

Post a Comment